Blood Drive at OHS

Kace McAuley, Author

There is a blood drive happening at OHS! It is happening Thursday February 24th and it is happening from 9 am to 2 pm. There will be a bloodmobile, which is just a Red Cross bus that is being used to take blood. Red Cross is the company drawing the blood, so you would be doing it for a good cause!
If you are interested in helping out the community by donating your blood this is how you can do it. If you decide you might want to do it they will be checking people in at the front of the main gyms entrance. The bus will be in between the gym and the football stadium. But there are some things you have to have. You have to be 16 to donate blood because it is unsafe for someone younger than that to donate. 16 & 17 year old’s would need parental permission and then everybody including those 18 and older would have to fill out some basic registration paperwork.
This Blood Drive is being sponsored by the OHS Student Government, and they have a goal for how much blood they would like to have donated. The goal is 25 units of blood donated and that goal should be possible, but we need some students to help and donate some of there own blood. 25 units means they need around 32 people to donate. They need that amount because one full grown adult is able to donate 1 unit of blood, but obviously some students are not full grown adults and have to donate less.
Mr. Schneidewind is the Student Government Advisor and helped a ton in organizing this event. He is also a Social Studies teacher here at OHS along with the Track and Field and Cross Country Coach. This is a great opportunity for you to help out your community, but if you cant do it on Feb. 24th then there is lots of places that will take and donate your blood that are always open; like the UNC blood donation center or the Durham Red Cross Blood Donation Center.