college track becoming controversial

Brianna Riddle, Staff Writer

College for most students is a controversial topic. Many students never dream of college because of financial issues, or because they think they’re not smart enough. But many students, however, think college is a good idea, and hope to someday attend their dream school, and get their dream career afterward.

Getting into college can be very tricky, but it’s not impossible. Getting into college can take a lot of patience, determination, and hard work.

College comes with a lot of benefits, such as increasing access to more job opportunities, building a sense of higher self-esteem, figuring out who you are and who you want to become, and more. A student from Orange High school, Alajah Timmons, says “college gives me a degree so that I’ll be certified and one day I’ll have my own vet clinic.”

When going for your dream career, make sure it’s what you truly want, a student from orange high school suggests “be organized, and always know what you want before pursuing.”

College can be very important to many people, but not everyone has to go to college to achieve their dream. College comes with its benefits, but there are some downsides to college, such as college being very expensive, and not everyone can afford it. Just to go to a school like Harvard for 4 years, you would have to pay over $200,000. Many students that want to attend college have to get student loans, which can cause you to leave with a ton of debt.

College can be waste of time for many people, depending on what you want to do in life, not every career requires you to go to college. There are plenty of jobs that don’t require you to go to college, for example firefighter, medical assistant, home health aide, massage therapist, electrician, flight attendant, personal care aid, phlebotomist, or wind turbine technician.

When going straight into college after high school, you don’t get much real-world experience, because most college classes are theoretical. Not only do you go into college having unrealistic expectations, but you’re not guaranteed to get a good job afterward, which would mean you may have wasted your time and money.

Many colleges require you to take AP classes, or the hardest classes your high school offers, but not every student will excel in these classes, leading them to struggle and have weekend homework. Even if you do take these classes, and complete all the requirements, you’re not guaranteed to get into college, and all that hard work will seem like it was for nothing.

No matter what you decide, to go to college or not to go to college, always remember who you are!