How students cope with music

Samantha Garrard, Staff

Stress is an unavoidable part of being a student.

Students can resort to safer and more beneficial ways of releasing stress instead of drinking and using drugs during such stressful moments.

Music therapy is not as well-known as it should be, especially given its tremendous therapeutic benefits.

Because of the stigmas that surround therapy, it is a frightening concept for most individuals.

Musical therapy, on the other hand, has a variety of healing properties and can provide many benefits to people who participate.

Studies have shown that listening to music in some form helps lower heart rate and blood pressure.

Den of Eches surveyed several students at Orange High to see how they use music to cope with difficult times.

“I usually listen to Alt-rock, punk, and emo,” states Noah Fredrick. 

Students enjoy music, and they also appreciate things that are easily accessible and affordable. They are fortunate in that they do not even need to leave their dorms to benefit from music therapy.

“There is music therapy in a receptive sense, which is just listening to music. When I’m stressed out from schoolwork, listening to some soothing music will help me relax,” says Maria Escobedo Martinez

Simply by lying in bed with a pair of headphones on, you may be feeling some of music’s healing powers. Listening to music can aid in the processing of emotions or simply help you relax after a long day.

You may now recognize that, despite the fact that you may appear to be “chilling,” you’re actually relaxing and interacting with your emotions.

Even (actively) crafting a song with lyrics about your personal experience and then having a music therapist help someone put a melody to it can be restorative and therapeutic in and of itself.

This is something that a lot of students struggle with. We all appear to be stifling our feelings and causing ourselves even more unnecessary tension. This can lead to depression and anxiety in the long run.

Stress, worry, and sadness, as well as the healing process, do not have to be a burden. Music therapy provides students with a healthy and accessible outlet, as well as the opportunity to participate in fun and supportive communities. The important part of music therapy is self-expression.