Supporting Mental Health

Samantha Garrard and Arlen Gonzalez, Staff

The pressure is increasing, and it is affecting children at an earlier and earlier age. As a result, it’s critical to make sure that students are aware of mental health support choices that are accessible.

Helpful ways are to seek a counselor or somebody you trust to tell your problems to, this can help lift some weight off your shoulders instead of keeping everything bottled up. Positive comments and reassurance… “I know it’s difficult, I’m here if you ever need to talk and I promise I won’t tell a soul unless you’re planning to harm yourself or others. I love you, you’re loved. It’s going to be okay,” says Adamary Reyes.

Den Echoes surveyed 10 people to see if they have used their school resources, most of whom were sophomores.

Results could still change in the near future depending on how students settle back after a year of being online. Many students are coming to the realization that they have mental health problems. The most common reported illness was anxiety/depression which has been caused by school.

The next question Den Echoes asked was if they have ever been to a trusted teacher or a counselor at school for mental illness. Most students replied with yes they have met with a counselor or trusted teacher. The answers were about 50/50 with yes it helped and no it didn’t.

Students reported that teachers would usually talk with you about the problem and ask to send you to the counselor, or when you go to the counselor they can only really talk with you and give you tips on how to deal with whatever is going on, whether it’s at home problems or school problems.

“It’ll get better but you need to be patient and let time to its thing. being mentally healthy doesn’t mean having good grades.” said Nathali Arias

Some students replied by talking with friends which can also be very reliable when it comes to problems at school because they might also relate to them. Having friends you can trust to tell your problems to and relate to can be a comforting feeling as knowing you’re not alone.

School is not the only reason for which students with depression/anxiety have increased. Things that happen at home can impact them negatively and can trigger those negative feelings and thoughts, which they carry on to in school.

“It’s a battle of lows & highs, but be proud how far you’ve made it,” says Melanie MaquedaTlaczani.

So it’s very important to know that these resources may help you and they are here for you if you ever need them.