Getting to Know Ms. Mattison!

New principal intern, Ms. Mattison, brings international culture to OHS.

Katie Long, Staff Writer

For the 2018-2019 school year, OHS welcomed Kristin Mattison as the new principal intern. Here’s what she had to say:

DenEchoes: Is this your first time as a principal intern?
Mattison: Yes, this is my first time as a principal intern. I am currently an MSA (Master of Science in Administration) student at North Carolina State University.

DenEchoes: What made you choose Orange High?
Mattison: This is a placement school for me. I have to do a yearlong internship for the program at school, and I was lucky enough to come back to the school that I graduated from.

DenEchoes: Can you tell me more about what you were doing before you decided to go back to school?Mattison: Before I went back to get my Master’s in administration, I was a music teacher at Hillsborough Elementary, as well as Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools. I also spend a year in China teaching English.

DenEchoes: How did the opportunity for you to go to China come up?
Mattison: While I was teaching in Charlotte they were doing heavy recruiting, where foreign countries were coming in and recruiting teachers from the United States to go overseas and sign contracts to teach, and I ended up getting the job. I signed a contract to go over and teach for a year. I taught children from ages 3 to 18 how to read, write, and speak the English language.

DenEchoes: Would you like to go back overseas after you finish school?
Mattison: I love traveling. I was born in Germany. I was in China for a year, and I would love to go to other places around the world. However, I would love to come back to Orange County once I get my degree. I think Orange County Schools are just amazing, and I love being here.

DenEchoes: Do you have any advice for students?
Mattison: One thing I would like to say is (that) you can do anything, as long as you try.

DenEchoes: Is there a certain reason why you would give that advice?
Mattison: Yes, I actually have a story I would like to share. When I was in high school, I considered college, but I thought I would have to pay for it. I worked hard, and I was involved in a lot of extracurricular activities. I got a full scholarship to undergraduate school, and now I am part of the North Carolina Principal Fellows Program. They are paying for my Master’s degree. I was not a straight A student, but I worked hard and was involved in my community. All of these opportunities came to me, including going to college for free. That is why I always tell students to try their best because the hard work they put in now will pay off in the long run.

In all of her travels, Den Echoes is glad that she landed with us at Orange!