Orange Varsity Baseball Go Big or Go Home at Playoffs

On May 9, the Varsity Baseball team traveled to Jacksonville High School in Onslow County for the first round of the North Carolina State Playoffs.

J. Slaughter & J. Berini

Rachel Tilley, Staff Writer

Varsity baseball players competed against Jacksonville’s own varsity team on the 9th, winning an overwhelming score of 6-2. The team had been preparing hard for this game since their win over Northern Durham on May 3. Team members were looking forward to the first round of playoffs. This was in part as they knew that if they did not give it their all, it would be the seniors last game wearing the Orange jersey.

“We have been working hard with Dease,” states sophomore player Ethan Guentensberger.

“In practice we have been pushing each other and holding each other accountable,” says senior Dalton Brown.

The game started off with Jaydin Poteat beating out an infield grounder, allowing him to be safe at first base. After that, senior Jason Slaughter moved Poteat to second base, but unfortunately was out at first. Sophomore Cooper Porter followed to hit a double which scored Poteat. Veteran senior Caige Clayton came up next and hit a double to the fence which scored Porter. At the end of the first inning, Panthers were up 2-0.

“As a team, we know how to have productive at bats,” says Dalton Brown. “We know how to situational hit and score runs.” The team showed this strength in last Wednesday’s game, which helped them come out with a huge win.

At the start of the second inning, Brown hit a single; this was followed by another single by Guentensberger. Slaughter came up and hit a single to right field which scored both of the runners on base. By the end of the second inning, Orange was up 5-0.

Defensively, Joey Berini and Jason played another good game behind Dalton, Kaymin Matkso and Caige. Kaymin pitched 5 innings and only gave up 2 runs, which was the least he has given up all season long. Caige came in and finished the game soon after. 

On what makes them good players, Dalton described the team members’ agreements with one another. “We just have to be consistent and play good. We have the potential to go a long way, we just have to fight.”

Congratulations to the team for a great 2018 season! Here’s to our senior players graduating this year, and rising players.